Online process of cancellation of GST Registration
Meaning of Cancellation of GST Registration
The registration granted under GST can be cancelled for specified reasons. Cancellation of GST registration simply means that the taxpayer will not be a GST registered person any more. He will not have to pay or collect GST. The GST registration can be cancelled through GST portal easily but it is advisable to take professional advice.
The GST registration can be initiated by following persons:
- By department on their own motion.
- Registered person can apply for cancellation of GST registration.
- Legal heirs of registered person, in case of death.
Start your Journey
Expert Assisted services
Reason for Cancellation of GST registration
The GST Registration can be cancelled due to the following reasons:
- Before GST there was VAT provisions, every person who was registered under old laws had to mandatorily migrate to GST, many persons were not liable to registered under GST. Hence, they can file for cancellation of GST registration on the GST portal.
- The business registered under GST has been discontinued or sold.
- There is a change in the constitution of the business (For example- Proprietorship to Private limited company).
- Composition Person has not filed GST returns for three consecutive periods.
- Registered person other than composition person who has not filed GST returns for a continuous period of six months.
Procedure & Forms For Cancellation Of Gst Registration
All those who want to cancel the GST registration must file an application for cancellation in FORM GST REG 16.
- File application for cancellation of GST in Form GST Reg 16.
- The following details are required while filing form GST Reg 16:
- Details of inputs, semi-finished, finished goods held in stock on the date on which cancellation of registration is applied.
- Liability thereon.
- Details of the payment.
- The proper officer shall issue an order of cancellation in Form GST Reg 19 within 30 days from date of cancellation.
- The registered person has to file a one Final Return electronically in Form GSTR 10 within three months of the date of cancellation or date of order by proper officer, whichever is later.
GST Registration Cancellation Package
- Cancellation order of GST registration.
- GSTR-10 Final Return.
- 2 month GST return before filing for cancellation, if pending.
Documents Required For Cancellation Of GST Registration
- GST portal User ID and Password, if already registered.
- Detail of Reason applicable for cancellation of GST registration.
- Detail of input, semi-finished goods, finished goods held in stock on the date of cancellation.
- GST return Sale and Purchase detail for filing of pending GST returns, if applicable.